Central Districts completes first day of business
Monday, April 28, 2008
Almost 250 attend convention Opening Worship Service
Central District, Regina, Saskatchewan
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
• More than 240 attend Opening Worship at Grace Lutheran Church, Monday, April 27
• LCC President Robert Bugbee preaches on Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”
• 112 voting delegates begin convention deliberations Tuesday, April 28
• Delegates elected President Thomas Prachar* to his fourth term.
• Other elections:
o Board of Directors
VP Regina region Rev. Michael Keith
VP Saskatoon region Rev. Rudy Pastucha*
VP Thunder Bay reg. Rev. David Haberstock*
VP Winnipeg region Rev. Rod Buck
VP Yorkton region Rev. Arron Gust*
Lay Regina region Wayne Gust*
Lay Saskatoon region Derek Clark
Lay Thunder Bay reg. Michael Maunula
Lay Winnipeg region no candidate
Lay Yorkton region no candidate
o Board of Regents Concordia University College
• Dr. Gene Veith presented the first of three essays on the Lutheran doctrine of vocation. More than 50 tuned-in to a live webcast at www.lutheranchurch.ca/video. Second essay is Wednesday, April 29 at 9:20 ST (11:20 ET)
• Delegates defeated a resolution that would place future conventions over weekends rather than weekdays.
• Resolution for LCC to provide prayer resources is adopted.
• Lutheran Church–Canada staff presented an overview of the national and international work of the church
• District President Thomas Prachar tells it like it is in his report. He noted declines in church membership, giving and activity levels. Some elected positions in the district had no candidates. He also thanked God for His many gifts of church workers and dedicated lay people. He wrapped up his presentation with an open discussion about where delegates believed the district should place priorities.
• Rev. Les Stahlke presented an overview of the Relationship Model of governance. The district’s Board of Directors is presenting the convention with major revisions to the handbook to facilitate the governance model.
Streaming of the convention is available at www.lutheranchurch.ca/video